Occupying the south-east corner of Liverpool, Belle Vale borders Huyton, Netherley, Gateacre and Childwall. The main road through the area is Childwall Valley Road (B5178), running from Childwall southward through to Netherley. The old North Liverpool Extension Line – the loop line that runs along the back of Hartsbourne Avenue – is widely regarded as the boundary separating Belle Vale from Childwall and Gateacre. The postcode across Belle Vale is L25, shared with nearby Woolton and Gateacre.
The District Centre and Local Identity
Belle Vale District Centre holds a fire station, police station, health centre and a large shopping centre, with Belle Vale Park also nearby. Despite this concentration of named local facilities, the area’s identity has long been a point of confusion. When Liverpool City Council erected district signage in 2005, Belle Vale was not listed as a distinct district. Signs on Childwall Valley Road directed drivers to Gateacre heading south towards the shopping centre and Netherley, and to Childwall heading north. The centre of Belle Vale effectively falls within the boundary the signs marked as Gateacre. Within Belle Vale itself, different housing estates carry their own names – Hartsbourne, Lee Park and Naylorsfield among them – which adds further layers to the question of local identity.
History and Origins
Belle Vale was historically part of the parish of Childwall and the township of Little Woolton, which was absorbed into the City of Liverpool in 1913. At the start of the twentieth century it was a small rural hamlet of cottages, farm buildings and Belle Vale Hall, a twelve-acre estate on the corner of Wambo Lane and Belle Vale Road. In 1901 the hall was owned by Thomas Harrison, a merchant and ship owner. The actor Rex Harrison, a relative of the family, visited the hall as a boy. By the 1920s the estate had become a fruit farm trading as Belle Vale Orchards Ltd, and the hall itself was demolished in 1929. Through the 1930s and 1940s the site was occupied by a jam factory run by John Irwin Sons and Co. Ltd. After 1960 the factory switched to producing spam, operating first as Blue Cap Foods and then as Newforge. A Morrisons supermarket and petrol station, which opened in 2003, now occupies that same ground. Part of the original estate grounds survived and was preserved as Belle Vale Park.