Coburg Dock lies within Liverpool’s southern dock system on the River Mersey, connected to Queens Dock to the north and Brunswick Dock to the south. It forms part of the wider Port of Liverpool, a network that shaped the city’s commercial and industrial development over nearly two centuries.
Origins and Development
The site’s earliest structures were the Union Half Tide Basin and Brunswick Basin, constructed between around 1817 and 1823. In 1840, Brunswick Basin was renamed Coburg Dock in honour of Prince Albert, and a 70-foot (21-metre) wide river entrance was added. From 1842, the dock became the South Dockyard headquarters of the noted dock engineer Jesse Hartley. Significant expansion followed in 1858 when the neighbouring Union Dock was absorbed into Coburg Dock, and a further enlargement took place in 1902. Over time the river entrance fell out of use and was sealed. The dock handled grain discharge and repair work, with a grain silo holding a capacity of around 62,000 long tons. Coburg Dock closed in 1972 and the grain silo near the basin was demolished in 1986. A small adjacent basin to the south, known formally as South Ferry Basin but locally as ‘The Cockle Hole’, was often mistaken for part of Coburg Dock itself.
Present Use and Liverpool Marina
Ownership of Coburg Dock and the other docks in the southern system passed from British Waterways to the Canal & River Trust. Part of the dock now provides moorings within Liverpool Marina. Mariner’s Wharf, built on the north quayside between 1989 and 1997, gives the site a residential and leisure character that contrasts sharply with its industrial past.